Scanning and Local Probe Equipment / Instrumentation
- 90μm ✕ 90 μm ✕ 7 μm closed-loop scanner
- 9 μm ✕ 9 μm ✕ 2 μm open loop scanner
- <5 Å (large scanner)
- <1 Å (small scanner)
- Ten 16-bit channels input
- Four 24-bit channels out
- Contact, tapping, lateral force, force spectroscopy, SKPM, MAC and Top MAC
- Ambient, purged gas, fluid
Applications: Controlled-environment AFM (fluid, purged gas, temperature- programmed). Polymers, electrochemistry, force spectroscopy. Magnetically- excited AFM.
- Contact, AC (tapping) and Dual AC, 1-D forces, lateral force, nanolithography, Electrostatic Force, Kelvin probe, conductive AFM, Magnetic Force, piezoelectric force, thermal AFM
- 90μm x 90μm ✕ 15μm closed loop
- <0.06nm 0.1Hz-1kHz BW
- <0.02nm Adev, 0.1Hz-1kHz BW.
Analog to Digital Converters
- One 16-bit, 5 MHz channel
Digital to Analog Converters
- Five 16-bit 100kHz channel
Direct Digital Synthesizer
- Six 24-bit 100kHz channels, plus two 10-bit 10MHz summed on a singleDAC
Applications: Force curves in contact or AC modes, frictional force imaging. Nanolithography, electrostatic force microscopy, and scanning surface potential. Conductive AFM, magnetic and piezoresponse force microscopy.
Bruker Icon AFM
X-Y scan range
- 90μm × 90 μm × 10 μm
Vertical noise floor
- <30 pm RMS
- pA to μA
Motorized position stage (X-Y axis)
- 180mm × 150mm
- 210mm vacuum chuck
- PeakForce (with quantitative nanomechanics), tapping, contact, lateral force, magnetic force spectroscopy, Kelvin probe, conductive AFM, tunneling AFM, electrostatic force, magnetic force, piezoelectric force, torsional resonance mode.
Applications: Nano-mechanics, whole-wafer inspection, scanning conductivity/resistance microscopy. Electrical measurements of soft materials.
Omicron STM-1 scanner
- 2 μm XY range
- 20-50 pA min current
RHK SPM 1000 controller
- 10 channel input
- 26-bit resolution
- complete signal access
- 10-8 mtorr
- LEED, sample annealing, lockin amplifiers, optical excitation
￼Applications: Atomically resolved imaging, density of states/bandgap analysis, photon-stimulated electrical properties, and nano-gap electrodes
- 4 ✕ 0-1GHz
- 2 ✕ 1-20 GHz
- 10-6 torr
- SRS 830, SRS 844
Agilent E5061B 5Hz-3GHz
- Agilent N5230C 10MHz-20GHz
- LHe-50 °C
- Kiethley 6517A
- SRS DS345 30MHz
Applications: Conductance, resistance, impedance, capacitance measurements of circuits, devices, and resonators.
- 1μm, 10μm, and 100μm XY range
- 7 NA 100 x upright air lens
- 3 NA 100 x inverted
- Adjustable pinhole size and objective lens alignment
- 1800, 600, and 150/mm gratings and 75/mm Echele. Cooled CCD/EMCCD detector.
- Contact, tapping, force mapping, Kelvin probe, conductive AFM, lateral force. Tuning fork AFM allows custom-cut and etched metal probes.
- Enclosures for each scanner for gas purge. Heated sample stage, fluid cell.
- Keeps samples of varying topography in focus
Near Field Scanning Optical Microscopy (NSOM)
- AFM-aperture optical microscopy is available in transmission mode
Applications: Simultaneous chemical and topographic/mechanical analysis. In situ temperature measurement. AFM-aperture optical microscopy. Optical devices such as semiconductor lasers, waveguides, and plasmonic devices Investigation of cellular tissue, DNA, viruses and other biological objects. Nanotubes, nanowires, and quantum dots.
- Contact, AC (tapping) and dual AC, 1-D forces, lateral force, nanolithography, electrostatic force, Kelvin probe, conductive AFM, magnetic force, piezoelectric force, thermal AFM
- 90μm ✕ 90μm ✕15 μm closed loop
- <0.06nm 0.1Hz-1kHz BW
- <0.02nm Adev, 0.1Hz-1kHz BW
- Micromanipulator, nano-injector, temperature-controlled chamber
- CO2 incubator, Bio-safety cabinet
- 641, 532, 488 nm lasers
- Cascade II EMCCD camera with dual view filter
- Nikon inverted optical microscope
- 10✕, 40✕, 100 ✕ objectives
Applications: Mechanics of cells, tissues, and polymers. Tagging and identification of cells, proteins, and molecules. Controlled dosing of samples via micropipette. Controlled environment (fluid, temperature) experiments.
UHV VT AFM
- 10 μm x 10 μm x 1.5 μm
Z – resolution 0.01 nm
- 01 nm
- < 1pA – 330 nA
- ± 5 mV to ± 10 V; applied to tip/cantilever, sample grounded
- 10-11 mbar or better
- 3mm x 9mm 7mm diameter
- 100K – 1500 K
- Contact, tapping, and FM noncontact
- LEED, Auger electron spectroscopy
- Evaporator, leak valves for controlled gas environment, sputter gun
- 20-bit, <25μV noise @ 60kHz up to 24 data acquisition signals
Applications: Atomically-resolved imaging of surfaces. Surface reconstruction. Friction and adhesion measurements. Surface potential and conductive AFM. Scanning Gate Microscopy. Scanning Kelvin Probe + Local dielectric AFM.