NNCI Image Contest
Dear Singh Center Users
You are invited to submit an image to the Singh Center – NNCI’s 2nd Image Contest. The National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure’s (NNCI) Coordinating Office has asked each of the 16 sites in its network to submit one image for the three categories below.
Each site’s submitted images will be featured on the NNCI’s website for this sitewide contest (“Plenty of Beauty at the Bottom”). The public will be invited to vote on their favorite images between October 5 and October 12, 2020 (the week in which National Nanotechnology Day (10/9) falls). Winners will be announced October 16, 2020.
The Prizes for each of the below categories are:
For the winning site, printing and framing of the winning image.
For the winning artist(s), funds to support travel to a professional conference up to $1,000/artist.
- a) Most Stunning – beautiful images can use false color but the original image details should not be altered. Colorization of the image is not required for submission.
- b) Most Unique Capability – sites can show off something that makes their facility stand out.
- c) Most Whimsical – cleverly insert something extra into an image. Example: create landscapes or rolling seas or a still life.
1) Image must be submitted in JPEG, PNG or TIFF format at the highest resolution possible. All additional information should be included in a separate file.
2) All images must include a scale bar. It can either be inserted into the image or shown below.
3) Each image will need a short description (100 words) explaining the image and research behind the image. The description must be suitable for a general audience. No jargon, please.
4) Up to two people can be listed as authors of the image. Include their name, appointment (graduate student, scientist, postdoctoral fellow, etc.), NNCI site where the image was created, title of image, full name of instrument used to produce image.
Images must be produced at an NNCI facility.
Images must have been made in the past two years, since August 2018.
Images may be used by the NNCI for promotional purposes. Your submission implies you have full author rights to submitted images and agree to give consent to NNCI, NSF, the Singh Center and Penn for use of images.
If you would like your image to be in considered to represent the Singh Center, please submit it here (https://forms.gle/LkGMNLfbMfHbGeW76) by 3 pm on Tuesday, September 15. You will need to use a google email account to be able to upload your image to the Google Forms (if you don’t have one, you can start a free one here: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp).
The Google Forms will walk you through all of the information above and allow you to upload a single image file. You are welcome to submit multiple images (but will need to fill out a separate form and go through the process for each one).
We know the timing is tight but we hope that if you have some worthy images, you’ll contribute to the Singh Center’s pool. We hope to have three outstanding images to submit for our site. If your image is chosen as one of the three submitted by the Singh Center for the NNCI-wide contest, you will be notified by Sept. 28.
In the 2019 competition (https://www.nnci.net/plenty-beauty-bottom), the Singh Center’s entry was voted Most Whimsical. In the near future, you will be able to find Wei-Shao Wei and Arjun Yodh’s image on view in the Singh Center.
We look forward to another year of highlighting the Singh Center’s Users’ most compelling images!
For any questions, please contact Kristen Field.